Monday, December 12, 2011

Who Set the Clock to Fast Mode?

Time Flies...
Monday night already. Where is the time going?
I'm beginning to sound like so many "old" folks I knew down through the years who were always totally amazed at the passing of time, in such a fleeting fashion, and never quite feeling too comfortable with the realization that it was literally "passing them by." On the other hand, time always seemed to drag on and on, for the most part, when I was young and sitting in school, church, or some other place I really didn't want to be. I guess the perspective one has determines just how time passes. Of course, none of this really matters because time passes at the same rate regardless of a person's situation or condition.

Why all this talk about the passage of time? Perhaps now that I'm retired (4 years), I really have morphed into one of those old, stodgy folks who always seemed worried about the good years slipping away. Although I'm not too concerned about any "good years" flying out my window and leaving me in the lurch, it does seem like the days move from morning to night at a much faster clip. I know that is impossible, but I ponder it all the same. And, too, I am busily at work on my next writing project, and when I'm fully going at it full steam, the hours click off in fast mode, it seems. 

As this Christmas season gets going full tilt, I find myself taking more time to reflect on Christmases past: some that were wonderful; some that were rather disappointing for one reason or another. The central thing about all of those Christmases of yesteryears is family. So many of those relatives are gone now, or we just don't stay in touch as we did when we were young. For better or worse, those memories drive home the point that having family around for  Christmas is a wonderful thing, if only in our memories. 

And now it's only 5:30 in the evening as I write this, and it's as dark as Egypt outside. Wasn't it just a sunshine-filled morning only a few minutes ago? Oh, well...I keep writing this stuff and they'll be calling for my lap robe, slippers, Preparation H, and a big bowl of Postum!  Time, time, time...MLA


"Time is making fools of us again."  ~J.K. Rowling

No comments:

Post a Comment