Thursday, January 23, 2014

My writer's window…

My writer's window - winter out there!
My writer's window - winter out there!
I read an interesting post yesterday by Scrivener expert and blogger, Gwen Hernandez, in which she wrote about her new office and comfortable surroundings. Included was a photo of her new writing office, and I can well imagine the enjoyment she'll have working there.
Her post got me to thinking, again, about how important it is to have a regular place designated as my office, study, work room, workshop, etc. But whatever name I give it, though, the only thing that matters is that this is a place where I write…regularly!
And, like Gwen, I'm fortunate to have my own room. It is complete with three large floor-to-ceiling book cases, two cabinet/shelf units for storage and printer and stereo, and a perfect-sized writing desk.
"I have a view of trees and the street through two windows, and a room all to myself."
And, just as Gwen writes about her new office's view of trees and the street, I also have one--my writer's window. The view it provides is very important. I believe that if I wasn't able to look up from my writing every now and then, out onto the back yard and the farm fields beyond to the east, and our small town's water tower standing sentinel out a few hundred yards away, the Union Pacific Railroad freight line tracks below, I wouldn't be as productive.
There are so many stories out there through my writer's window in every season of the year. Right now, at -2° and the wind chill -26°, Jack London seems to come to mind. Quite timely, I think, with the  special miniseries, Klondike, that I watched on Discovery Channel this week.
In spring I watch the planting of the fields, which at the moment are empty and waiting; summer is heat and watching the corn grow so tall much of the water tower is lost from sight; autumn is harvest time, amidst the golden tinges and a feeling of closing up for another year. And then, it's winter all over again, and the search continues for new stories through my writer's window….MLA
Looking westward from our garage across to our neighbors in this winter of 2014
Looking westward from our garage across to our neighbors in this winter of 2014
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment