Monday, December 10, 2012

Birthday Celebrating and Holiday Stuff...


--- December 2006 ---
(Photo credit: Live And Basic)
It’s a gray day, but not quite that kind of gray day, when there’s no chance for the sun to break through at any minute or the temperatures to climb up to near 40°. It’s just another one of those days, in a long string of days, that seem to be “just there!” 

Perhaps if I were currently working on my novel, which is “resting” at the moment from the intense month of November and NaNoWriMo, I might find this day to be one worth lots of accomplished writing.

Instead, I’ve spent the majority of the day—my wife’s birthday—doing little chores and helping her get her iPhone settings configured and up and running. That done, I was pleased that I could get it all done without creating any other glitches or problems. I must say, these iPhone things are pretty snappy!

She’s out with friends for her birthday lunch and then to do some other odds-and-ends and also pay a visit to her aunt in an assisted living residence not too far from here. That’s the kind of person my wife is, one who’d rather spend her day making others (especially a favorite aunt, her dad’s sister) feel good and cared for. She is definitely an inspiring force, and I’m damned lucky to have her along for this ride.

Tonight, we’ll go down to our son’s house and have a nice birthday dinner and cake with him and his wife and our two wonderful grandsons. I always kid my wife about her birthday falling so close to Christmas and, because of that, I can’t buy her a gift. Of course, that always is met with venomous stares, which always convey the message: That’s tough! Get over it and make sure there’s a birthday gift awaiting. I don’t care how close Christmas is!

And so it goes. I love this time of the year, not because of the necessity to go shopping (I hate it for the most part!) but because the complete chaos that begins swirling as soon as my wife’s birthday edges ever closer, colliding with all of the Christmas hub-bub. It all just adds to the boiling cauldron of the season!

Tonight will be good. Our grandsons will enjoy singing the birthday song and showering Grandma with the best wishes and for many more to come. We’ll enjoy a wonderful meal, followed by delicious cake and candles, and become fully immersed in a night of laughs and good times.

Candles spell out the traditional English birt...
Candles spell out the traditional English birthday greeting (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I have enjoyed a brief “pause” in the writing life, but I’m now ready to get back to that tale I pounded out in November. I’m still not sure about the title, but I’m still liking the “working” title: The Bet, and I believe that it could work in the final product.

Time will tell, but stay tuned for updates on the progress of the novel as it goes into rewriting, revising, editing, polishing, scrubbing, beating…

Now, I need to begin to get ready for the birthday dinner and the celebration that is sure to happen….MLA

No comments:

Post a Comment