Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Green Grass and Other Things...

The view down the lake. Soon, we'll be there to enjoy!
Here it is, nearly mid-May, and there's much to do before "lake/cottage season" rolls around. First, the grass needs cut again! Seems as though it was just mowed, but with the recent rains and good sunshine in its wake, the grass is healthy and thick. And I can accurately report that the grass is not "greener on the other side of the fence." It's quite green (and growing!) right here in my own personal pasture!

It's a sunny and mild morning right now, and I probably should go out and fire up the old John Deere walk-behind mower, but there are too many other "pressing" things I need (want) to do right here. So I'll gamble that tomorrow morning will be dry and conducive for a good mowing. (I think it's supposed to rain and get cold overnight.)

Second, there is the general "round-up" that we go through each year around this time, even though we swear that "next year, we're going to do things differently!" We have, however, eliminated most of the containers that have to be loaded into the back of the truck and/or the trunk of the car. We consolidated things and have left most of the necessary items (bedding, boat stuff, etc.) up there in the cottage. But, still, there's always an overabundance of various items that simply have to get located from their storage spots, hauled to the garage, and packed in an appropriate spot. I know it will all get done, but it never seems to get organized until the last-minute--the time when tempers grow short and colorful language abounds!

Third, there is the ultimate duty of making sure the house here is in tip-top condition before we leave. I don't think it's wrong, either, that the good wife wants to add this bit of drudge to our "to do" list when the deadline for getting lake stuff finished up is quickly creeping up on us. It's just that it creates additional jobs to get completed in a short amount of time. But, I have no say in any of this, so I go along with the program all the same.

Finally, there are the day-to-day responsibilities that have to fit somewhere in our time frame. For example, this evening, I'm doing my annual grilling of steaks and chicken at a homeless shelter in Naperville. My cohorts and I have been doing this for many years, and it's always been a wonderful experience--for us and for the folks we're serving! About 5:30 tonight, when the coals in the five Webers are ready, and the steaks and chickens sizzle and cook, the whole church parking lot and surrounding area takes on the atmosphere of a very delightful tailgate. The end product is delicious food for folks who normally subsist on pasta dishes brought in or beans and franks and hamburgers. Nothing wrong with any of that, but this is something special for them. I guess we feel special in doing it, too.

Thinking about all of this gets me in the mood for the "rush" at the last-minute to get ourselves into lake "mode" once more. I really can't complain about anything as I realize just how good I have it around here. Most of my grousing and mumbling should be taken tongue-in-cheek as I really wouldn't want things any other way around here. Now, If the grass would only slow down a bit...

Until next time, down the road we go...MLA

No comments:

Post a Comment