Monday, September 26, 2011

Get Writing, Fool!

Because it's gray and cold and rainy, today would be the perfect day to get moving on my next writing project that has come to a halt since mid-way through this past summer, although there are several pages started on two of those. But for some reason, I bounce from one thing or another, or pick up a current book I'm reading and lose myself (and precious writing time!) in it. Not sure exactly why I am not able to jump into this with an whole-hearted effort, and I'm finding it difficult to re-establish that needed discipline to sit down on a regular basis and tell a story.

It's not as though I don't have plenty of opportunity to get into the writing mode all over again. If I'm totally honest about things, though, I can say that I'm not completely comfortable with my plot ideas, characters, or overall story development at this point.

I wrote Black Wolf Lodge over a period of nearly ten summers, and I was able to build on that draft fairly easily and complete the whole thing nearly one year ago. I basically am starting from scratch and am uncertain as to developing the second book with the same two characters as in Black Wolf Lodge. And each time I put that partial draft (thirteen chapters) back into "the drawer," another writing opportunity flashes past, and I find myself way back at square one all over again! 


Perhaps, though, it's time to give those two characters one more chance and I can bring them out of "the drawer" and let them grow a bit more. And maybe I just need to do a better job of developing the plot line that isn't quite so similar to things that occurred in Black Wolf Lodge. Whatever I decide to do this week, I need to dedicate my efforts and get on with things--get going once more in the writing life! Down that road I trek...MLA


By the way, Black Wolf Lodge is available from Lulu Publishing.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/markanderson9

No comments:

Post a Comment