Sunday, May 1, 2011

It's May!

Gadzooks! (I've always wanted to write something with that ancient expression) We've finally reached the month of May. Why is that important, you ask? Well, if for no other reason than we're done with April, a turbulent, cold, rain-soaked thirty-day stretch. And though there are no guarantees that the weather will be any more pleasant in the early days of this month, at least we know that, by default, things simply have to get better! Since spring is a myth here in northern Illinois, we have to grab onto whatever bit of sunshine and warmth we can. Sitting out on the deck with my morning coffee a short time ago was a major victory!

Just this morning, up early (before 7) and out for a much-needed walk through the sleepy northern Illinois town where I reside, I noticed that the yards and various other plantings appear healthy, green, and vibrant. The sun was dazzling and warm and good, making for a very pleasant twenty-minute stroll through the sleepy town. I thought how nice it was to be out and about without a heavy jacket or long sweatpants. The wind--which so often is a brutal force--lay quiet and non-threatening. And while my heart rate and blood pressure gleefully sang out "thanks" for the bit of exercise, I gave much thought to the busy month ahead: my nephew's wedding next weekend, a doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks, our annual "put-the-pier-in" expedition up at the lake in Michigan late in the month, and "Move-in" to the cottage Memorial Day Weekend. 

Now, if all of those events of May aren't enough to make us forget about the drudge that was April, I don't know what can. What I do know, though, is that my "window to the world" this morning is showing a much brighter picture of things to come. (Now, if gas just wasn't over four dollars!) Down the road we go...MLA

No comments:

Post a Comment